Sometimes our hair needs a little TLC and here is how you can do just that!
All these ingredients have different properties to help you have a healthy scalp and lush hair. The oils can be used together or separately to combat specific needs. For me, it’s easier to have one product for everything. All I need to do is warm it and apply it and bingo!
A few helpful tips before you get started:
- Make sure children and pets are out-of-the-way and cannot disturb you. You do not want to risk burning them or yourself!
- Do a risk assessment! It may sound silly but hot oil causes nasty burns, make sure you can’t trip over anything, knock anything over and your pan is sturdy!
- Use the lowest heat setting throughout the entire process!
- Keep all the ingredients to one side in order, measured out and ready to use!
- I use T tree essential oil in step 7. It smells really good with Amla oil and is cooling for when you have a headache!
- If you go for a steam and sauna, put this in your hair as it will have an amazing result!
- Make sure that the oil is cool when decanting it into the bottles. This will stop you from burning yourself and melting the bottle you pour the hair potion in to. Hot oil will melt plastic!
- Once you have made and stored your oil it may go solid because of the Coconut Oil, Ghee, and Shea butter. To melt it, put the bottle in warm water for a few minutes. This will also warm the oil which is recommended before applying!
- Apply the warm oil to your hair covering the scalp all the way down to the tips of your hair. Give yourself a head massage so that you work the oil into the scalp and hair. It is also relaxing!
- Leave the oil in for a minimum of 30 min. Steam, relax in a warm bath workout or do the cooking with it on. When my hair is really damaged, I leave it on overnight. you can use a headwrap to protect your bedding. If your hair is really damaged, use this 3 times a week. I use it once a week!
Step 1-Warm a hand full of ALMONDS on low heat. Be careful not to burn them! Almonds promote hair growth, reduce hair falling out and prevents dandruff. It also feeds the follicles lots of yummy nutrients!
Step 2- I added around 2 tablespoons of GHEE. You can use as much as or as little as you want.WARNING: It pongs! Ghee is clarified butter. It is full of good fatty acids that hydrate the scalp, conditions the hair, fights split ends and gives you a super shine!
Step 3- I added around 7 heaped tablespoons of solidified COCONUT OIL. Again add as much or as little as you want. Coconut oil has vitamins K and E this reduces dandruff. It penetrates the follicles making the scalp healthy. It is also a great natural hair detangler and prevents split ends!
Step 4- I used around 3 heaped tablespoons of solidified SHEA BUTTER. I wouldn’t recommend using much more than this unless you are using a lot more of the other ingredients. It has anti-inflammatory properties so is good for irritated scalps and doesn’t block the pores. It also promotes hair growth!
Step 5- Add JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL. I used the whole bottle. Again you can choose how much you want to use but this stuff is amazing! Rich in Omega 9 & 6 which encourages hair growth by improving blood circulation in the scalp. I prefer this to regular castor oil as it is more alkaline from the bean ash and is made with not as much chemical processing!
Step 6- Add AMLA OIL. Again, use as much or as little as you want. I used the whole bottle as it takes away from the Ghee pong! This oil has the same benefits as all the oils I’ve mentioned it has 2 unique benefits. It helps to prevent or clear infections from tickle enemies. If you have kids or are in a situation where you are exposed to head lice this oil works wonders. It is also great at preventing those dreaded greys from appearing. Amla oil has been known to darken hair. If you’ve spent a lot of time and money on the perfect highlights, I would skip this oil. You could use something else in place of this like olive oil.
Step 7- Stir the mixture slowly on low heat. Be very careful not to splash the oil on you as it will be boiling! This will combine all the ingredients together. At this stage, you can add a few drops of essential oils to the potion. This will give the oil a lovely aroma and make the oil feel therapeutic when applied. If you do this, make sure that the smell does not clash with the smell of any oils used.
Step 8- Carefully place the pan to the back of the cooker out of the way and leave to cool. While the oil is cooling, prepare your bottles, ready to fill! If you have not got a steady hand use a funnel. I fill up one big bottle that we all use at home. I also fill up a couple of small bottles so that I can take them away with me to the gym, spas or on holidays. I reuse bottles that I have, like old shampoo and conditioner bottles or the original bottles the oils came in.
Step 9- Make sure that the oil is cool. Oil is DANGEROUS when hot and can BURN you badly. Once it’s cool, decant into bottles! I always use a small funnel for the small bottles and spoon the oil in to avoid spillage. You can also place the bottles on a trey so that if oil does spill it’s easy to clean. I use a bigger funnel for the bigger jars. Once filled, make sure the lid is firmly tightened and the bottles stored in a cool damp place.
head over to my Instagram page Rinx_89 for a short video of each step!
You can get most of these products online and they are all inexpensive. E-bay have competitive products and prices. If you give it a go, let me know how it went. If you need help or have any questions, just ask! Enjoy!
Glitter, Sparkles and unicorn light, may your hair be healthy and glossy for life! xx